This last couple of weeks I’ve been a sponge! Soaking up all things blog and literally waking up in the middle of the night with post and content upgrade ideas that I’ve had to write down immediately! It’s been quite exciting to say the least. Today I’ll share the links to my discoveries, useful articles and amazing bloggers sharing their own journeys. There are so many really helpful posts out there that can help you to go the distance for free or for a small investment in yourself.
This post contains affiliate links
Of course I’ve bounced back to my faithful guru and friend, Abby Lawson! You should know that she has put together a free guide called 5 Types of Content that Will Boost Your Blog Traffic where she shares the kinds of posts that took her from zero page-views to hundreds of thousands of visitors a month! Her insight and examples are so helpful and can help get any blogger or blogger-to-be started on the right track. You can get your copy here.
A head’s up too, Just a Girl and her Blog have relaunched Building a Framework, which is the course that I did to kick start this whole process! (Eeeeekkkkk!) grab your copy of the Free Content Guide too!
Get a Site
First things first; if you’re just thinking about starting your own blog, or online business of any sort you’re gunna need a website! I used Wix, and I used this platform for both my blog (waving!) and my Dad’s little business, Grandad’s Wooden Toys.
UPDATED November 2017 – I have recently moved the blog from Wix to WordPress hosted by Site Ground (best decision ever! More on this coming soon!)
Stop Trying to Do all the Things!
My main problem, as always, is trying desperately to do all the things! I imagine most bloggers feel the same way because there is SO MUCH to do! And knowing where to start is incredibly hard. So I’m sticking with the plan I made in this post and ploughing on! I strongly suggest you do the same.
Struggling to make a plan?
- First, get yourself a Planner
- Second, go see the awesome Allison Marshallover at com, read the time and productivity resources and enrol on the Productivity Party Course – that is all you’ll need for a kick up the blogging-bum!
On top of that I’ve discovered some really awesome articles from all over the web that have each provided some super insight and helpful tips. It’s easy to get bogged down with all the information out there; knowing what to follow and what to ignore! Seriously, I know! So I’ve taken the slog of the blog and done it for you! I’ve listed everything I’ve used below and also saved them to one handy Pinterest board too! I have literally trailed the blogging world and anything that wasn’t much help to me hasn’t made the cut – as I assume it would be of little help to you too. So trust me when I tell you that what I’ve laid out below is helpful stuff!
All of these wonderful ideas are now in my brain and I’m slowly implementing them to achieve The Goals:
- grow my traffic. And it’s working!
- write consistently awesome content and give serious value to my readers
- grow my social media presence
- understand all the crazy lingo like SEO, PPC, HTML, VA…..jeez!
Here’s your next list of go-to spots for super supportive, helpful and amazing info and advice.
We can’t keep all these wonderful ideas locked in our heads; there’s just too much! Plus the awesome creative stuff we’ve got going on is always at the forefront of our minds (if you’re anything like me!) so my best advice is to start making use of Pinterest and your desktop Bookmarks bar.
I realised early on in this process that resources are in abundance if you know where to look but I need to go back to some of it or use them regularly as part of my developing routine. So, accessible resources are super important to keep me on the right track. I’m sure you feel the same! There is so much brilliant stuff out there that you might not necessarily be able to implement straight away but know that you’ll need later; image resources being a good example of this. To keep things simple and organised I divided my bookmark bar into folders with relevant blogging categories, for all the awesome resources I have, so that I can dip in and out of them as and when I need to.
If you’re thinking of doing something similar, I have made it easy by categorising the resources below into the same “folder” titles that I’ve used on my bookmarks bar. This will help you to set up a similar process if you wish, and keep things divided to ensure that you know just where to look when you need inspiration on a particular topic.
Automation & Social
- Erika at Olyvia – How to get a blog post to go Viral
- Erica at Coming Up Roses – How to Theme your instagram
- Gemma Sands – Ultimate Guide to Hashtags
Courses & Ideas
- McKinzie at Moms Make Cents (Love, love, love!) – Pinterest Course (brilliant!)
- Joanna Kay (basically just go to her website and stay there all day!) – 10 Lead Magnet Ideas to Grow your Email List
- Brilliant Business Moms courses – Brilliant Product Launches, Brilliant Pinning, How to be Brilliant on Social Media, Craft Your Brilliant Webinar….the list goes on! Beth Anne and the team know their stuff!
Creative & Legal Tools
- Ashlyn Writes (I printed these gorgeous infographics and have them in my inspiration folder too!) This also includes a brilliant graphic about providing value; not to be missed! – 16 swipeable phrases to energise your copywriting
- Mariah Magazine tells us all about codes in a super easy-to-absorb way – Top 10 HTML Codes That All Bloggers Should Know
- Mandy Wallace at Write or Die shares super duper writing tips that literally everyone trying to blog should know – How Not To Write: The Style Mistake Most Bloggers Make
Images: Resources & Advice
- Joanna Kay (more love!) – Stock Photograph Resources
- Erika at Olyvia (again! I’m a fan if you haven’t gathered!) – Beautiful Free Photos
- Raelyn Tan – Styled Stock Photos
- She Builds – Blog Post Images that Convert
- Tiger Lily VA – Create Free ebooks and PDF’s on Canva
- Cole Hennan – Create Incredible Workbooks
- Michelle Hickey – Make Money Designing Printables
Networking & Brands
- My Domaine – Writing a Killer Cold Email
- By Rosanna has this brilliant article, with a FREE TEMPLATE explaining – Why you need Brand Guidelines
- Rebecca Brown wrote this article for Bloggers Lounge – 3 things Brands want from Bloggers
- Becky Bedbug writes informatively about – Reaching out to Brands as a Blogger
Traffic & SEO
- Glen Long writes for Smartblogger and tells us – 11 Reasons People Bounce from Your Blog and Never Return
- I will teach you to be rich founder, Ramit Sethi writes super helpful tips – How to get 150,000 people to read your blog in 1 week (and how I did it)
- Rosmarie of The Busy Budgeter Fame (more gushing! She’s so awesome!) – How to get to 400,000 Pageviews/month… the easiest way.
Other really helpful Articles
Some of the articles I’ve read cover a number of the topics above and give a brilliant insight into blogging strategies across all of the relevant topics; from monetising to traffic and all the bits inbetween. I’ll be listing them in the next edition of my little blog business series so keep your eyes peeled!
In the meantime don’t lose your marbles! Make a plan, make time for yourself and be positive! Your homework then is to, drink coffee, chill and when you’re ready,
I would strongly recommend these bloggers as your go-to place for blogging advice:
Abby – justagirlandherblog.com
Allison – Wonderlass.com
Joanna – Joannakay.co
Elise – HouseofBrazen.com plus her eBook rocks – “How to make your first affiliate sale in 24 hours using Pinterest”
McKinzie – Momsmakecents.com
You can also view all of these resources on the
Pinterest Board – This Blogging Business
follow so you don’t miss the updates!
Have I missed something? Show me the awesome teachers and their posts that I’m missing! 🙂